Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The commencement of adulthood


College. These seven letters hold such a great significance. I remember being in elementary and middle school and thinking that college was a lifetime away, that is, if I could even get to college. Considering that my parents were immigrants to this country and I knew no one who had gone to college or even what it was, the odds were definitely not in my favor.
Fast forward a couple of years and now I am preparing to leave sunny San Diego to live the next four years of my life in Durham, North Carolina. How crazy is that? Going across the country for college at Duke University? 2,500 miles away. Me? Whoa. Insane.
Besides the obvious shock of moving to another coast, I can’t believe how fast time has passed. I used to think that college kids were smart adults who knew what they were doing. Do I consider myself an adult? No. Do I know what I am doing? I wish. Do I know what I want to do in life? Not really. Am I scared? Yes, very much so.
The Big Day is approaching! 
To me, college is a step into adulthood. And I am definitely being bombarded with my own pestering worries. I do not know what I want to do with my life. And definitely not secure with who I am or who I want to be. But I do know that I am willing to give it a try. I am excited to begin to individualize myself and become my true self by being in the real world.
And I can’t begin to describe how much I am looking forward to the independence and freedom that college brings. Away from my parents (although I love these two wonderful people who are freakin’ amazing), away from my secure home, warm city, and everything I know. I am looking forward to meeting new people, people like me and also people completely different from me, seeing different perspectives, learning new things, attending classes and overall just having a blast.
            My parents have been giving me advice this whole summer since they know that my time at home is limited. They keep reminding me of what they consider a “mission”. The mission that has been assigned to me is to go to college and get my degree, to completely dedicate myself to do this. It is the whole point of going to college!
I want to make my parents proud and I cannot wait for the day when they travel to my college to see me graduate. But for now, I will enjoy being an adolescent and I will make the most out of college.
My next blog will be my first impressions of college so I am definitely looking forward to sharing you my first thoughts with you all! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment