Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Single Essay Submission: Free College Education

Most grown-ups today would jump at the chance of writing a short essay to win a prize monetary amount. An hour of your day in return for $500, $1000, or for even a greater amount of money sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? But, in fact, it is very much true. Students have opportunities to decrease the amount of potential debt that they might find themselves in after they finish their schooling. With horror stories of students owing thousands upon thousands of dollars in college loans, applying to scholarships by merely writing an essay sounds more than enticing.

During the oh-so-stressful period known as the last and final year of high school, seniors have to apply to colleges and scholarships while at the same time continue to do well academically and keep up their leadership positions and extra-curricular activities. Coming fresh out of high school (graduated a bit over a month ago!), I know how tough managing senior year activities can be.

I remember feeling like I was drowning in a large lake and being unable to swim up to the surface to take a deep breath. All the deadlines I had to make, the piles of homework I had to complete, the activities and events I had to attend, and trying to craft my future was incredibly overwhelming. Not until the day I received my high school diploma did I really feel liberated; I could finally swim to the surface of the water and take as many gulps of air as I wanted. Well, at least for a few more weeks, until I begin to undertake college responsibilities at Duke University.

But before I completely bore or completely frighten you about your senior year of high school, I would love to share a very bright moment of my high school senior year. On April 18, 2011, I found out that I was a Gates Millennium Scholarship (GMS ) Recipient. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has funded the Gates Millennium Scholarship each year since 1999. The scholarship is awarded to 1000 well-deserving minority students across the United States who face significant financial struggles when it come to college.

GMS gives a good-through-graduation scholarship to the students to use at whatever institution they choose. That means an undergraduate, a graduate and possibly a doctorate degree is completely paid for. Yes, that’s right, completely paid for! No loans or work-study. I feel very blessed to have been a recipient this year. I won’t have any loans to pay back or be in any kind of debt when I finish college!

Seeing friends having to deal with loans and trying to find last minutes ways to gather up money for college is hard to do. But at the same time, I am realizing what GMS means. It means that I can push through and pursue my goals, which I am very happy about. But I also know that much is expected of me because of this gift. Part of my life will now be dedicated to giving back to the community that nurtured me and to the students who come from similar backgrounds as me.

So, to all you high school students out there, please start early and apply to as many scholarships as you can! Anything free is awesome. Free money is even more awesome! And if you are a high school senior, please complete the Gates Millennium Scholarship. 8 essays in return for having your whole schooling paid for? Totally, completely, and 100% worth it. The Gates Millennium Scholarship has become available as of August 1st, 2011 and will close on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 so there is plenty of time to complete it. Also, look for other scholarships on your own. Fast Web is a free scholarship search engine, take advantage of awesome resources like this. Best of luck!

This is the first of my blog posts so visit soon, because there will be many more to come! Feel free to leave questions, comments, and concerns below. Also, please check out the "Paying For School" page on the Latinos in College website.


If you liked this blog, you should also read these:


Daniel Alberto Perez's Blog: A $100,000 Job Offer: Dreams Derailed?

Ana Sofia Vasquez's Blog: Memoirs of a Previously Clueless Highschooler. Part 1.

4 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you, Karina! Very good first post! Keep up the good work! Best of luck with all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Daniel! Looking forward to writing more for LIC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karina- Wanted to wish you continuing success in college and with your great postings! I also wanted to ask you a question. I have just launched a website www.studentsconnecting.com. Our site is dedicated to connecting students seeking tutoring services with student tutors providing tutoring services! Our site is bilingual and we are reaching out to Hispanic students and their parents to join our community. As we want to engage all of our students, I wanted to ask you what your opinion is re: the best way to engage students, and how we may find student bloggers to share their experiences on our site? We are excited to hear your feedback. Thank you! Ronnie Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Schwartz- It is always so great to hear from individuals who strive to help students, especially those who come from minority backgrounds. I strongly believe that there needs to be more minority representations at four-year universities so I applaud your efforts. I think social network sites like Facebook and Twitter are the best ways you can get the word out about what you are doing---that is how I became involved with Latinos in College. I simply 'liked' their Facebook page and look at me now--blogging for them and trying to reach as many people as I can. Good luck and don't hesitate to reach me again!

    ReplyDelete