Friday, January 27, 2012

How to set goals for 2012


2012. Wow. I am still stunned. How did time pass by so quickly? I was in high school just a year ago. I was waiting to hear back from universities and scholarships. I was trying to finish off high school on a strong note. It seems like so much has happened since then. I have grown up, become more responsible, become an independent young woman, and learned a lot about myself. Now with my first semester behind me, I am making goals for this semester as well as for the rest of the year.
I am always thinking about the future. I know I will be applying to medical schools in a few years so some of my goals are to start working on looking like a great candidate. That is why one of my goals this year is to start volunteering at a hospital near campus or work at a research lab. These are definitely feasible goals for me. I am not working at a job on campus this semester so I will have extra time to do pursue these things I want. And it is crucial to set goals that you know you will have time for and that you actually want to do; I mean, you need some kind of motivation to drive you, right?
So far, I have already applied to a summer program. This summer program offers a look into the medical and dental field to students of minority descent (although ANYONE can apply). The program is hosted at different university campuses. I applied to three. Hopefully this summer I will either be at Columbia (cross your fingers for me! Its my first pick), U of Washington, or UCLA. Whichever one would be awesome. Thinking about spending my summer at one of these universities makes me really excited. I am a nerd and what!! J
Besides these goals, I also have other simple goals that did not start in 2012---they are more like works in progress than anything else. I want to continue being a centered, at-ease, healthy, and kind person. I want to lead a balanced life.
Writing my goals down has actually been very helpful—I will reference this article every time I need some kind of motivation! I recommend that you write down your goals! Last but not least, share your goals with your family and friends. They love you so they want to help you accomplish these goals. And do the same for them!
Until next time,
Karina 

No comments:

Post a Comment