Monday, October 17, 2011

How to be a good roommate


Roommates. I’m sure almost everyone who has shared the same room with another human being has some horrifying roommate story. When I hear roommate complaints in the dining hall or on the bus, I can’t help but to thank the gods for blessing me with such a great roommate. And I guess it is rare for people to say that they actually like their roommate, but I really do.
The school year starts off with a “honey-moon” period, also known as the time when you get to know the person who will be living with you. Everything is going well because you’re so excited to be in a new situation. And then the real test comes along: the ending of the “honey-moon” period. Your true self comes out. You realize that college is not some kind of short summer program, but your home for the rest of your undergraduate experience. You’re not trying to be as nice as possible at every single moment like you might have done when you were still looking for friends; you act like yourself (we’re all very nice people but you know what I mean!). Your roommate could then either becomes a good friend or merely someone who co-inhabits your room.
Luckily, my roommate and I get along very well. I would even consider her one of my best friends, if not my best friend, at college. We have similar tastes in humor, share some interests, and have a group of mutual friends. It’s nice to have someone who I feel comfortable telling anything that might be on my mind—serious issues and funny moments (there is literally never a day that goes without some kind of deep discussion or laughter).
I think we have been able to forge a great friendship because we communicate well. We make our concerns known to each other. We also respect each other’s ideas, beliefs, goals and aspirations, and of course, personal belongings. I think all roommates should attempt to be open with each other, if your Resident Advisor makes you discuss rules for the room (i.e time lights should be out, visitor policy etc), take it seriously, it is very important that you are both on the same note. Also, be open to learning. My roommate and I are from different coasts of the United States, have different religious beliefs, different organizing preferences (you should see my very messy desk!), and academic endeavors (Me= History major (but still Pre-Med) vs. My roommate= Psychology and possibly German minor) and I have learned so much and gotten to see a different perspective on many topics and life in general.
The most important aspect to having a good relationship with a roommate is a positive attitude. My roommate and I get along despite our differences because we want to have a great college experience. So, I definitely encourage you all to be communicate as best as you can, be open to learning, and have a positive attitude. I guarantee that your relationship with your roommate will be much fulfilling if you do so!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the useful advice. I also found this site is helpful for me to prepare for the Gates Millenium Scholarship http://gates-millenium-scholarship.com/

    ReplyDelete