Sunday, October 23, 2011

What are some great snacks?

            Food makes our taste buds happy and brings us comfort. Food brings people together. Food is always at celebrations. To say the least, food is delicious. And, it is also very tempting. Since being at college, I have been exposed to foods that I never tried in the past and foods that were not common staples at my household. College has also introduced a new definition of junk food to me. It has been very hard to stay away from all the sugary yummy goodness that brownies, chips, soda pop, and cookies have.

            So, how can you stay away from all this (pleasing to the taste buds but not good for your figure) food?

Well, try to balance your snacks. And by balanced snacks I mean healthy yet delicious snacks. For example, number one on my list is oatmeal. There are packets of instant oatmeal that come with different flavorings like Apples & Cinnamon and Maple & Brown Sugar. With each packet (one serving) of oatmeal, totaling160 calories, you could get the sweetness that you might be looking for, but also something much healthier than Oreos or chips. Oatmeal has proven to have serious health benefits like lowering blood cholesterol. And since it has fiber, you’ll be full for a longer time than if you were to snack on Oreos. I make my oatmeal with soymilk since I don’t like regular milk and its healthy as well! You should try it sometime if you haven’t!
Delicious hummus!

            Number two on my list of yummy AND healthy snacks is good ol’ hummus! Hummus is a dip made out of chickpeas, tahini (a sesame paste), olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. You can dip crackers, pretzels, and even vegetables if you want to have a snack. Most stores carry different flavored hummus. I currently have a Sabra’s Roasted Red Pepper hummus and if I do say myself, it is delicious!

            Number three on my list is nuts! I love walnuts! Nuts are an awesome source of fiber and antioxidants so do not be afraid of grabbing whatever nuts you prefer and snacking on them while you are working away on your laptop, as I am doing right now J. Snacking on fruits (maybe with some yogurt and granola) and vegetables (perhaps with some low fat ranch or hummus) are also great alternatives to calorie filled snacks.

            There are certainly other healthy alternatives, so I encourage you to try them out! But eating healthy doesn’t mean that you can’t indulge in a slice of rich chocolate cake once in a while! Practice good eating habits now so that you don’t have to suffer the repercussions of a bad diet when you are older.

            Remember: Enjoy everything in life! But remember to balance things out and love yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment