Friday, November 25, 2011

Not “Mexican” enough

           Growing up, I always felt like people were easily able to distinguish that I was Hispanic. No one ever guessed wrong. But now that I am older, people have a hard time believing that I am Hispanic, more specifically, Mexican. Is it my lighter-than-most Hispanic complexion or that I speak perfect English? Or maybe that I am 5’9 and not shorter?
            Yesterday, I had someone tell me that I did not look Hispanic at all and that I was simply “too tall” to be Mexican. And then he began to speak Spanish with an American accent slowly to me so that I could understand. And that hurt me. It hurt me a lot. I answered his questions in complete Spanish to show him that I understand and could speak Spanish. I tried to answer with a confident tone even though I was trying my best to hold back my tears.
            It feels like I am being stabbed in my heart when people question or doubt that I am Mexican. It is MY identity. I LOVE BEING MEXICAN. It irks me to the point of extreme anger as well as sad tears when people cannot recognize my ethnicity and respect that I do not fit the stereotype of a “Mexican”.
            How dare anyone question who anyone else is? I am disappointed in myself for letting comments like that get to me. But I cannot help it. I want to be identified for who I am, for the country that my parents come from and ancestors thrived in, for the traditions that my culture has, for the ethnicity that I am proud of and love so dearly.
            After having some time to think about those hurtful comments, I have realized how important it is to use this motivation to get through hardships and through moments when I need an extra push. YES, I am MEXICAN. I AM light-skinned. I AM educated. I AM 5’9 AND A HALF! What do you have to say about that? I break stereotypes wherever I go.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! Keep your head up high, Karina! We must not let stereotypes get the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karina, I'm with you on this one. I'm also Mexican, have a college degree, and although I wish I was 5.9 I'm 5.7 and a HALF ;). There have been plenty days when I felt stuck between two worlds; not really fiting in completely with your Hispanic culture and not fitting in completely with the American-culture. Although I've been faced with the same challenge I've found great friends who feel just the same. There are a lot of us out there. Keep you're head up high, you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete